expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Sunday, September 28, 2014

On Focus: Abraham Lincoln and His Fight Against Slavery

If I was given the chance to meet and talk to a historical personality, I'm certain I'd be choosing former US President, Abraham Lincoln. He's known for his admirable intelligence and determination to free the slaves of America. He led the country through one of the worst periods in US history; the Civil War. And during that period of time, he wrote the Emancipation Proclamation to help the Union win the Civil War and thus preserve the Union. The Emancipation Proclamation freed slaves in the states which had rebelled against the Union, thus, at the time it was written, the Union did not have control over the states, which had seceded or rebelled against the Union. The Union states were "free states" as the Northern states had outlawed slavery. The rebel states or Confederate states did surrender to the Union, and became "free states" by virtue of the Emancipation Proclamation. 

I look up to Abe Lincoln so much for his dedication and loyalty to his countrymen. He was successful in bringing the United States together, again, as one nation. He used his power as president for a good cause, observing fairness and equality. 


----------


Trixie: Good day, Mr. Lincoln. 

Pres. Linoln: Good day, too.
Trixie: Congratulations on your success upon issuing the Emancipation Proclamation.
Pres. Lincoln: Thank you. It is my obligation and honor to serve each and every person in the United States.
Trixie: Sir, what inspired you to write the Emancipation Proclamation?
Pres. Lincoln: I've always been against slavery, especially because my father was once a slave. I'm not sure if you were told or if you've somehow heard it before, but I am from a poor family. And my parents had my eyes opened to the reality of how Americans aren't treated fairly. Slaves were crucial before in the procedure of living Americans' lives. And these slaves were surprisingly of the same nationality as theirs.
Trixie: I see. Sir, if you weren't the president of the United States of America, would you still pursue your desire to free the slaves?
Pres. Lincoln: Of course. In my own simple ways.
Trixie: Like how, sir?
Pres. Lincoln: Like if I walked past through a slave somewhere in Illinois, I'd help him one way or another. And whisper to him, "You're not worth it."
Trixie: That's a nice one, sir. Could you please give a short message to students like me?
Pres. Lincoln: Sure. Youngsters, you're never too young to fight for what's right. Just because your neighbor's dumb and you're not, doesn't mean you can make him your slave and treat him like he's not human. Don't think that way. We all have something that makes us special and unique. And take note, we were born to be free. 
Trixie: Thank you for that very inspiring message, President Lincoln.
Pres. Lincoln: You are very much welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment