Juliet
(Sees Romeo lying dead)
No, no! Romeo, why? Why? How is this even possible? Friar Lawrence, why did this happen? This is not what you told me. You lied to me! No! No!
Friar Lawrence
I'm sorry, Juliet. Friar John failed to take the letter to Mantua. Please forgive me. But we must go on. We can't stay here any longer. The watch might see us. Juliet, listen to me, we'll take care of this but not right here. Come with me, please. We must go on! Juliet! Let us go!
Juliet
No! I'm not going to leave Romeo behind. I must stay here with him.
Friar Lawrence
Juliet, I shall make a potion that would wake your husband up from his deep sleep. But we must hurry, or else he would die and we'll lose all our hopes. Come on, Juliet!
Juliet
You mean, he's not dead yet?
Friar Lawrence
Well, of course not! He's just in a deep sleep. But the only way to wake him up is by making him drink this potion I am to create.
Juliet
Do you promise me that he's going to live, Friar Lawrence?
Friar Lawrence
I promise, Juliet. I promise.
Juliet and Friar Lawrence left the tomb and proceeded to Friar Lawrence's quarters.
Friar Lawrence
Juliet, I am so sorry. But you must understand and accept the reality. I know it's hard to take all this in but, you must do it. I'm sorry I lied to you several times. But this is for your own good too, keep that in mind.
Juliet
He's dead, isn't he? And you can't make him live.
Friar Lawrence
I'm just a friar, Juliet. I'm no god. Forgive me.
Juliet
I forgive you, Friar Lawrence. It's myself I can't forgive.
Friar Lawrence
And why is that?
Juliet
I was too selfish. I even dared to commit suicide- I mean, pretend one just to not get married with Paris.
Friar Lawrence
It was my plan, Juliet. Don't blame yourself-
Juliet
No. It was your plan but the decision was still on me. And I agreed with you. It's all my mistake.
Friar Lawrence
Don't be too hard on yourself, Juliet.
Juliet
Can I please stay here with you? I don't want to go home. Ever.
Friar Lawrence
You can stay here as long as you want, Juliet.
----
Benvolio
(Continuously knocks the door)
Friar Lawrence? Are you around? Friar Lawrence? Hello?
Friar Lawrence
Aaaaah, patience! Patience, please!
Benvolio
(His knocking was cut off by Friar Lawrence opening the door)
Friar Lawrence!
Friar Lawrence
Yes, yes. What is it, may I know, that brought you here?
Benvolio
Nothing, really. I just needed someone to talk to.
Friar Lawrence
(Gives a confused look)
Juliet
Friar, who was that?
Friar Lawrence
Aaah, Juliet! Could you please do me a favor and entertain this boy for me? He's Benvolio, Romeo's cousin and-
Juliet
Yes, I know. I know.
Benvolio
Good day, Juliet!
Friar Lawrence
There you go. You two talk while I finish my work.
Juliet
Why don't you come in, Benvolio?
(Friar Lawrence leaves the scene)
Benvolio
It is a pleasure to meet you, Juliet.
Juliet
The pleasure is mine. So, what are you doing here?
Benvolio
I just really needed a friend. You see, I'm all alone now. Mercutio left me first. And now Romeo.
Juliet
I know how you feel, being left out.
Benvolio
It's nice to know that someone understands me.
Juliet
You know, the only two persons I'm left with whom I know I can trust are Friar Lawrence and my nurse. Unfortunately, the nurse isn't here with me.
Benvolio
So that makes it only one person, then? One person you can trust for now?
Juliet
Indeed.
Benvolio
Well, why don't we make it two again?
Juliet
What do you mean?
Benvolio
You can always trust me, Juliet.
Juliet
That's so nice of you! Thanks.
Benvolio
It's just the two of us now. We'll finish this journey together.
Juliet
You are the greatest man I've ever known. The way you speak reminds me of Romeo. The way you make me feel so safe is pure heaven. I would like to thank you for that.
Benvolio
It is my honor.
Juliet
Forever?
Benvolio
You and me... forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment